Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wallet Tutorial

Tuesday, April 26, 2011


You may have seen this post when I was a guest over on Less Cake {more Frosting} a while ago.  I decided it was finally time to re-post it over here.  These little wallets are perfect for birthdays- just put a gift card or a little cash-ola and you've got one happy birthday!  Or they work great for those who like to pretend they have money (and I don't mean your over-extended neighbor) like my 2 year old, who loves to use the fake credit cards you get in the mail.  So, let's make our own:

First we will need to cut our fabric, you don't need much for these cute little guys. One fat quarter will get you 2-3 wallets if you want it all the same fabric.
Cut two pieces 4 1/2 inches by 8 3/4 inches from your fabric. They can be the same, or different fabrics. Cut two pieces the same size from interfacing. {I used Pellon Craft-fuse}
Cut two pieces 4 1/2 inches by 3 inches from your fabric- these will make the bill pocket.
Cut one piece of interfacing 4 1/2" X 3".
Following the instructions on your interfacing, fuse the interfacing to the fabric.
You will also need a 1 1/2" piece of hook and loop tape- the sew in kind.

Now we're going to get all our pieces ready.
1. Sew the soft side of the hook and loop to one end of the fabric that will be the lining, 1/2" from the edge.
2. Sew the scratchy side of the hook and loop to one of the 3" pieces (the outside fabric) 1/2" from edge.
3. Embellish the front of your wallet if desired.







Take the two small pocket pieces and line them up, right sides facing. Sew along the top and bottom seam using a 1/4" seam allowance. Turn right side out and press both seams. Edge Stitch along the edge closest to the hook and loop tape.








Line up the pocket on the outside body fabric 3/4 inches from edge. Sew along the opposite edge. {please note position and orientation in the photo}











 Now place the lining fabric on top of the outside fabric, right sides together. The pieces of hook and loop tape should be on opposite ends of the wallet. Stitch around all sides using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving an opening for turning on one of the short ends. Clip corners, turn right side out and press. Make sure to press under the edges of the opening so they will be even when sewn shut. Edge stitch the short end that will be at the top of the pocket.



Fold up the pocket so it is now the bottom edge of the wallet, press.












Stitch around the three unfolded sides of the wallet, this will secure the pocket and edge stitch all remaining seams. Fold over the top of the wallet so the hook and loop lines up and press the fold.









You now have a super useful wallet that will keep your change secure while still holding your bills. Perfect for kiddos with lots of cash,or other treasures.
XOXO,
Amy
Linked up to Tatertots and Jello
Photobuckettopsy turvy tuesdays

11 comments:

Kristie said...

Thank you! I have been looking for a simple one for gifts, and for my little kiddos who love the play cards from the mail!

Tam @ Sew Dang Cute said...

Amy! That dollar fabric is so cute and perfect for a wallet! Thanks so much for commenting on my sharing post and I'm so excited to meet you (if you decide to party with us on your bday)!!! And seriously thank you so much for your kind words last night on Twitter. I wasn't kidding when I said it made my week. THANK YOU!!

XOXO

Gypsy Thread said...

I love little wallet ideas like this one. It's a great way to use extra bits of fabric from making a purse. Matching accessories and all that... :)

Lu said...

So cute! Great tutorial.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love this little wallet and had completely forgotten about your post on Less Cake {more Frosting}. I'm making Hello Kitty zipper pouches for the two little girls attending my oldest's birthday party in June and have been looking for something to make for my nephew so he doesn't feel left out. I think I just found it :)

casserole said...

Love it!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-simple-fabric-wallet/2011/04/27/

--Anne

Lolly Jane said...

Too cute! I need a new wallet and this is the perfect size. Great tute! We would ♥ for you to show this off at our link party!

Lolly Jane
lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

Alicia @ littlesprinklesoffun said...

Too cute! I love the pink one!

Heather said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I made one for a birthday gift for a 5 year old. Came out perfect! I posted a pic of the one I made with a following post of the link to this tutorial!

jaya pratheesh said...

perfect wallet.. very clear tutorial. thank you!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...